Rachel B. Gross
John & Marcia Goldman Professor of American Jewish Studies
Building: Humanities Building
Room Number: Room 446
- Ph.D., Religion, Princeton University, 2014
- M.A., Religion, Princeton University, 2011
- M.A., Religious Studies, University of Virginia, 2008
- B.A., Jewish Studies, University of Virginia, 2007
- American Jewish history
- Religion in America
- Visual and material culture
- Public history
- Food studies
- JS 280 Introduction to Jewish Studies
- JS 301 Judaism: An Introduction
- JS/HIST 449 American Jewish History
- JS/HIST 421 Food Fights: The Politics of American Jewish Consumption, 1654–present
- JS/HIST/HUM 441 American Jews and Popular Culture
- Feeling Jewish: Nostalgia and American Jewish Religion (in progress)
Articles and Book Chapters
- “A Slippery Slope: Jews, Schmaltz, and Crisco in the Age of Industrial Food.” In Feasting and Fasting: The History and Ethics of Jewish Food, edited by Aaron S. Gross, Jody Meyers, and Jordan D. Rosenblum. New York: New York University Press, forthcoming December 2019.
- “Table Talk: American Jewish Foodways and the Study of Religion.” Religion Compass 13, no. 4 (March 2019).
- "Moving Parts: Contraptions and Jewish Traditions." In Contraption: Rediscovering California Jewish Artists, edited by Renny Pritikin and Mark D. Johnson. Munich, Germany: Hirmer Publishers, 2018.
- "People of the Picture Book: PJ Library and American Jewish Religion." In Religion and Popular Culture in America, 3rd edition, edited by Bruce David Forbes and Jeffrey H. Mahan, University of California Press, 2017.
- "Field Trip to the Kosher Kitchen: Religion and Politics in the University Dining Hall." Transformations: The Journal of Inclusive Scholarship and Pedagogy 25, no. 1 (Spring/Summer 2014), 128–137.
- "‘Draydel Salad’: The Serious Business of Jewish Food and Fun in Postwar America." In Religion, Food, and Eating in North America, edited by Benjamin E. Zeller, Marie W. Dallam, Reid L. Neilson, and Nora L. Rubel, Columbia University Press, 2014.
- "A Million Matzo Balls." Co-authored with Jessica Kirzane. The Yiddish Book Center's Great Jewish Books Teacher Resources. March 30, 2018.
- "Jewish Food Does Not Begin and End with Kosher." JTA, February 15, 2018.
- "'An Unjustified S(ch)mear Campaign': Narratives of American Jewish Food." Stroum Center for Jewish Studies E-Journal, University of Washington, November 16, 2017.
- “Is the Statue of Liberty a Jewish Woman?” J. The Jewish News of Northern California, July 3, 2017.
- “‘Anne ♥ Peter’ and the Rise of Anne Frank Fan Videos.” The Jewish Daily Forward, The Sisterhood blog, November 17, 2015.
- “Who Counts as a Jew?” Religion & Politics, October 8, 2013.
- American Academy of Religion
- American Jewish Historical Society
- Association for Jewish Studies